Friday, April 29, 2011

Yerkes-Dodson Law


Yerkes-Dodson Law: a correlation between task performance and an optimal level of arousal, whereby performance will first improve as a person's arousal level increases but then reach a point at which further stress will result in a decrease in performance.

Not too long ago I had to give a report to the Board of Directors about our new Modern Art exhibit. The more I thought about it, the more nervous I got. But then I remembered what Mama always told me about public speaking: "If they kill you, they won't eat you." My nerves went away just like that.

Mama should be a therapist. She's good.

3 comments:

  1. Public speaking doesn't arouse much enthusiasm for most people but usually people are pretty considerate. Never heard of that law though. But it seems kind of logical.


    Hope you'll join us for The A to Z Challenge Reflections Post on Monday May 2nd.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete