Saturday, February 19, 2011

Got Art?


As you may have noticed, I've been absent from the blog the last few days. Work is insane. Noticed I said "work" is insane, not me. I want to make that clear.

For the past two years I've been an administrative assistant at an art museum --- and there's no end in sight. Don't get me wrong, I like my job. But I was hoping that by this time in my life I would be living the dream (and I'm not talking about polar bears.) The fact that I don't know what "the dream" is has been a problem. Hence, my relationship with Dr. Channing.

This week I had to work late almost every night to get ready for a new exhibit. All hands on deck. I was helping Harry arrange some tables for sculptures. The exhibit is called "Atlas Pranced" and was inspired by Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged." At least that's what the artist says. I studied art history and philosophy in college and I can tell you that Ms. Rand would be mortified at this horrific display.  

So why did the museum choose this artist? Well, there's a "revolutionary" on the Board who convinced everyone that the artist is a genius. Art is often in the eye of the beholder but is a statue of a man licking his elbow really "cutting edge"?

No comments:

Post a Comment